Safety is crucial when it comes to horse riding, which is why jockey skull caps are an important tool for all horse riders. It is important to ensure that your jockey cap fits well to be effective, as skull hats are designed in a wide range. A poorly fitting cap will not only compromise the safety of your hat, but it may also affect your vision if it slips when riding. If you find that your hat does not provide a sufficient level of protection, it may not be the right fit for you.
Best Skull Caps for Horse Riding
While the American standard for equestrian safety has improved over the years, it is still advisable to invest in a good skull cap to complement your horse riding helmet. To that end, here are our picks of the five best skull caps for horse riding.
1. Skull Cap Helmet Liner Running Beanie
If you are searching for a lightweight, comfortable and versatile skull cap to wear under your racing helmet, this beanie is a great choice. This stretchy beanie is so lightweight and comfortable you will forget you had it on.
The cap offers efficient thermal retention to keep you warm during cold weather, owing mainly to a breathable design and a comfy fleece fabric.
You don’t have to worry about the fit, as the stretchy fabric allows the skull cap to accommodate different head shapes and sizes. You can use it to tuck in your hair so it doesn’t distract you as you try to stay active. It will keep your head and ears warm when outdoors and quickly absorb sweat and moisture on your skin.
If you are planning to use the beanie regularly, you will also need to wash it frequently. Washing the cap by hand is rather simple as the fabric has the ability to retain its form after cleaning, leaving it looking as good as new. Just be sure to give it a thorough initial wash before wearing it with your polo helmets.
- Materials – 11 percent Lycra, 89 percent Polyester
- Size – Elastic
- Measurements – 3.9” x 3.9” x 0.1”
- Weight – 1.2 ounces
- Best for – Thermal retention
- Stretchy to fit a wide range of head circumferences
- Helmet friendly
- Wicks sweat quickly and efficiently to keep you dry and comfortable when horse riding
- Versatile (can be used in winter and summer for several outdoor activities)
- Ability to retain form after washing
- Excellent thermal retention
- Foldable and lightweight for easy storage and portability
- Breathable to minimize sweat build-up
- Too light to serve as a stand-alone hat
- Color tends to bleed on the first wash
2. Three-Pack Thermal Fleece Skull Caps
Is your skull cap too thin or does it not wick away sweat quickly and efficiently? If so, these beanie hats can be a great accessory for your safety helmet.
They are inexpensive and come with a nice, sleek design that utilizes quality materials. These include spandex and polyester as well as a unique fleece lining on the inside for maximum warmth and comfort. These materials are elastic and the caps can stretch to fit most head sizes.
You can wear these helmet liners under your helmet to stay warm when outdoors. The stretchable fabric works great to wick sweat away quickly. The caps are also breathable, which helps to keep your head cool and reduce sweat buildup during an intense horse riding exercise.
These skull caps are thick and quite versatile and, all in all, a great way to create a safer helmet. Apart from using them with your helmet for horse riding, you can wear them for extra protection against injury when performing various indoor and outdoor activities.
- Materials – Fleece, Spandex, Polyester
- Size – Elastic
- Measurements – 7.44” x 6.34” x 2.56”
- Weight – 4.66 ounces
- Quantity – Three pieces
- Best for – Multi-purpose
- Thick enough to serve as a stand-alone hat
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- Elastic fabric that fits a wide range of head sizes
- Fleece lining provides extra warmth and comfort
- Breathable to facilitate air flow
- Quick dry capability to wick away sweat fast and efficiently as you ride
- Lightweight thermal retention
- Soft inside to keep your head warm and comfy
- Creates a good barrier between skin and helmet
- Wind-resistant material
- Comes in three pieces
- Not a great fit for small heads
- Limited color options
3. TSLA Men and Women Thermal Fleece Lined Skull Cap
Horse riding is an amazing outdoor activity in the winter and this unique cap can help keep your head warm as you engage the great outdoors.
Designed for all seasons and weather, the cap is made of a lightweight fabric that is highly efficient at wicking moisture away. This fabric is a blend of spandex and polyester that stretches to fit any size without losing its original shape.
Arguably the best feature of this skull cap is the thermal-fleece lining on the inside. This warm, fuzzy material dries quickly and has a remarkable ability to hold in heat. This is because its structure consists of air pockets that help to trap in heat to keep you warmer.
The reflective TSLA logo at the bottom of the cap is a nice touch for night visibility. For optimal comfort, the edges are sewn together with Flat-Lock Seams, which are quite strong and popularly used in polyester base layers.
- Materials – Polyester + Spandex
- Inner lining – Thermal fleece
- Size – One size fits all
- Measurements – 9” x 7” x 1”
- Weight – 3.2 ounces
- Best for – Winter
- Can work as either a helmet liner or stand-alone hat
- Fits perfectly
- Has a reflective logo for night visibility
- Interior thermal fleece lining to keep you warmer
- Strong flat-lock seam finish for superior, long-lasting quality
- Suitable for all weather and seasons
- Lightweight design for easy storage and carrying
- Great at wicking moisture away from your head
- Affordable helmet range
- Not waterproof
- Ear flaps tend to curl up and look awkward
4. Halo Headband Skull Cap
The halo headband is one of the most technologically-advanced sweatbands available. The cap redirects sweat away from your face and eyes using a Sweatblock seal found on the inside of the headband. When you put on the cap, this seal rests against your forehead just above the brow line where it channels sweat away during an intense workout. As a result, you can concentrate on your horse riding without worrying about sweat dripping into your eyes.
In case you forget to reapply sunscreen, the smooth mesh top has a UPF rating of 35 to 50 (depending on the color) to protect your head from the sun. Washing the halo skull cap is easy as it is quick-dry and quite lightweight. It is also elastic and does not lose shape after washing—made of Dryline fabric, a high-performance material infused with silver ions that wick up moisture.
This skull cap is great for basic functionalities. It will hold well under your helmet thanks to an impressive GRIP technology that helps keep the sweatband in place during any activity.
- Materials – Dryline fabric (polyester + spandex + nylon)
- Inner lining – Sweatblock seal
- Size – One size fits all
- Measurements – 10” x 2” x 1”
- Head circumference – 20” – 22.5”
- Best for – Bald heads/ heavy sweaters
- Sweatblock seal redirects sweat away from your face and eyes
- GRIP technology keeps the sweatband secure
- Quick dry
- Retains shape after washing
- UPF rating of 35 to 50 (depending on color) for UV protection
- Antimicrobial fabric keeps out odor by preventing the growth of bacteria
- Breathable to keep your head cool
- Fits comfortably under horse riding helmets
- Affordable price
- Not ideal for a large head circumference
- Comes in only one size
5. Under Armour Men’s Original Skull Wrap
This skull wrap is an excellent choice if you are looking to workout hard while staying comfortable. It is lightweight and easy to put on with a stretchable design made of polyester and elastane material. This polyester and elastane fabric combination wicks sweat and dries fast—keeping you cool during an intense horse riding session.
The skull wrap works well with your helmet and, on those chillier days, provides extra warmth. You can even listen to music along the way as the cap has an elastic headband on its lower portion (like the Halo Headband Skull Cap), which can hold your earbuds in place. Likewise, the elastic headband can also help secure glasses.
This cap is designed for comfort. It covers the top and sides of your head completely to prevent overexposure to the sun. Additionally, the cap is designed to keep the webbing of your helmet from rubbing against your head.
- Materials – Polyester + Elastane
- Measurements – 6” x 6” x 1”
- Weight – 1 pound
- Size – Ones size fits all
- Best for – Long hair
- Great for taming long hair
- Covers the scalp completely to minimize sun exposure
- Helmet friendly
- Can help hold your earbuds and glasses in place as you ride
- Wicks sweat fast and efficiently
- Quick dry
- Keeps sweat off your face
- Easy to put on
- Can be pulled over the ears
- Not designed for a large head
- Only comes in one size
Skull caps come with a wide range of features for different types of helmets. The best skull caps serve as a barrier between your head and your helmet, cushioning it to minimize impact in the event of a crash. Jockey skull caps are also important in terms of thermal retention. They help to retain heat when it’s cold, thus keeping you warm when you are riding out in the chilly winter weather. This can come in really handy, especially for those who are bald or have thinning hair.
If you have long hair, investing in an elastic cap can help tame the hair and keep it from getting pulled out whenever you wear your helmet. When measuring your head for a skull cap, be sure to remove all slides and clips beforehand, and then do your hair the way you will be wearing it when you put on the cap. This is important because a headband, clip, ponytail, or other style can affect the size of your cap.
Here is our buyer’s guide to help you make a more informed decision when purchasing your next skull cap for horse riding.
Best Skull Cap for Jockey Helmets:
The Skull Cap Helmet Liner Running Beanie is the best skull cap for jockey helmets. This cap is extremely efficient at wicking sweat away, which is important for minimizing discomfort during those sweaty horseriding sessions. The non-bulky fit when wearing with a helmet is convenient in that you can use the cap as a barrier against oil and sweat without the awkwardness of extra material.
Best Multipurpose Skull Cap:
If you need a versatile skull cap to use at your Pony Club activities, the Three-Pack Thermal Fleece Skull Caps is a great choice. This cap comes in three pieces; so, you will have two more to wear in case the first one wears down. The caps are thick and breathable, which helps to keep you cool as you stay active outdoors.
Best Horse Riding Skull Cap for Winter:
The TSLA Men and Women Thermal Fleece Lined Skull Cap is the ultimate horse riding helmet for cold events. This cap is great as both a stand-alone hat and helmet liner. It fits perfectly and can cover your ears if you want. Just be sure to choose that style when making your purchase as there are several styles and colors, including the fleece-lined balaclava. The winter balaclava offers full face coverage for better cold and wind resistance.
Best Jockey Skull Cap for Dressage Riders:
If you are a regular rider, then you will appreciate the Halo Headband Skull Cap. This cap will eliminate the frustration of dealing with sweat dripping on your face when riding. The SweatSeal is designed to channel sweat to the sides, where it is then absorbed by the integrated headband.
Best Skull Cap for Long Hair:
If you are looking for something to contain your hair, preventing it from getting pulled out when you wear a helmet, the Under Armour Men’s Original Skull Wrap is an excellent purchase. Simply put on the skull wrap before wearing your helmet.
Everyone looks for comfort when searching for the best skull caps for horse riding. The skull caps on our list are made with materials that are sure to provide what you’re looking for. For maximum comfort, choose a size that gives you a snug fit, i.e., not too loose or too tight. Happy riding!