If you’re not sure whether wearing a helmet is good for your kid when horse riding, you might want to consider that head injuries account for the most equestrian-related injuries—with up to 60 percent of these injuries leading to death. While this is a scary statistic, it is equally preventable by simply wearing a riding helmet that meets the required safety standards.
Riding helmets reduce your risk of serious head injury by minimizing the impact of your fall. They act as a barrier between your skull and the object causing the impact, designed to absorb the energy and mitigate the force that reaches the brain.
Best Equestrian Helmet
The best equestrian helmet generally consists of a strong, durable outer shell for optimal protection. Some modern horse riding helmets come with an outer casing made of Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS for short), which is extremely strong. For the interior, the helmets feature an inner polystyrene layer, which contains numerous air pockets that burst on impact, absorbing the overall impact in the process. If you are looking for a good helmet for your child, take a look at our top five picks.
Thanks to a solid, durable construction, the helmet has a pretty decent lifespan. The outer shell is made of strong ABS material, which can withstand heavy use and adverse environmental conditions because of its high tensile strength and impressive resistance to physical and chemical corrosion.
The inner shell, on the other hand, consists of Expanded PolyStyrene (EPS) material—known for its lightweight properties and its ability to absorb high-impact energy. Together, these materials are the foundation for a safe and reliable product designed for horseback riding.
There’s a lot going on in terms of style with this helmet as well. The front, in particular, is adorned with a lovely silver stripe that contributes to the chic design. On the inside, the inner shell is lined with highly durable velvet material that inspires a rather classic touch. It is detachable for easy cleaning.
To add comfort and prevent accidental injury, the helmet comes with a convenient chin pad that efficiently absorbs sweat off your skin extremely fast—keeping you dry and comfortable as you ride.
This helmet is particularly suitable for horseback riders looking for a stylish equestrian helmet. For maximum comfort, there is a simple ventilation system within the helmet that adheres to equestrian helmet safety standards.
- Measurements – 11.69” length x 8.35” width x 6.77” height
- Weight – 15.2 lbs
- Outer shell – ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)
- Inner shell – EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene)
- Headliner – Hardened inner lining, detachable and washable (by hand or washing machine)
- Air vent – 3 pieces (2 in the back, 1 in front)
- Head Dimensions:
- Head circumference – 24.41”, Weight – 0.95 lbs
- Head circumference – 23.62”, Weight – 0.95 lbs
- Head circumference – 22.83”, Weight – 0.95 lbs
- Head circumference – 22.05”, Weight – 0.99 lbs
- Head circumference – 21.26”, Weight – 0.95 lbs
- Best for – Young kids
- Efficient three-piece ventilation system to keep you cool while riding
- Quick and convenient sweat chin pad to keep you dry and comfortable
- Chic, attractive design
- Interior velvet lining is detachable for easier cleaning
- Strong, durable construction
- Budget friendly
- Head measurements fit to size
- No batteries included
- Limited color options
This helmet clearly was carefully designed with safety in mind. The outer shell is made of tough PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) material, which helps to absorb impact in the event of an accident. It is also fully ventilated at the top and around the edge.
The interior is fully lined and padded to make the helmet more comfortable when riding. Additionally, like the UNISTRENGH Comfy Velvet Texture Equestrian Helmet, this helmet comes with an adjustable chin strap that is easy to clip on and off. This helps secure the helmet on your child’s head and cushion them from sustaining head injuries in case of an accident.
This helmet is ideal for young children who are just getting acquainted with equestrian sports. It is adjustable so you can tweak the head dimensions to make it fit properly as your child grows. The helmet is certified by the SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) for public safety—and a good choice that meets the safety standards required in horseback riding.
- Outer shell – PVC
- Inner shell – EPS
- Size – Adjustable
- Head circumference – 18.9” to 21.3”
- Measurements – 10.5” x 7.3” x 4.5”
- Weight – 260g
- Best for – 2-8 year olds
- Sturdy construction to cushion the head from injuries
- Head is adjustable so it provides plenty of room to grow
- Has SEI certification for child safety
- Lightweight enough for a two-year old to carry
- Adjustable chin strap helps to secure the helmet
- Fully ventilated to allow air through
- Interior liner is not removable for easier cleaning
- Limited color options
This sturdy, durable horseback-riding helmet is great for both you and your little one. It comes in different sizes (from small to large) and has an easy-to-use dial that can be adjusted to provide a more custom fit.
The helmet offers a number of features for safety and optimal comfort. This includes an exclusive YKK® adjustment clip designed to stay out of your face when riding as well as a removable visor to protect your eyes and face.
Like all Ovation riding helmets, this model is SEI/ASTM approved.
- Measurements – 12.83” x 9.29” x 7.4”
- Size – XXSmall/XSmall, XSmall/Small, Small/Medium, Medium/Large, Large/XLarge
- Head dimensions:
- XXSmall/XSmall — 18.11” to 19.68”
- XSmall/Small – 18.89” to 20.47”
- Small/Medium – 20.47” to 22.04”
- Medium/Large – 22.44” to 24.01”
- Large/XLarge – 22.83 to 24.41”
- Weight – 1 lbs
- Best for – Comfort
- Adjustable to fit a wide range of head circumferences
- Offered in a variety of colors
- Strong, lightweight construction
- Super comfy
- Comes with a removable visor for eye protection
- Adjustment clip does not get in your face when riding
- Removable liner allows for easier cleaning
- Well ventilated
- Synthetic liner can get pretty sweaty on hot days
- Not designed for a large head
- Buckle needs to be a little tighter
It’s durable and fits well on a small head. Thanks to a convenient quick release buckle, it’s particularly easy to put on and take off. It is also equipped with an IRH Dial-Fit-System (DFS) at the back that allows you to adjust the helmet. Simply spin the dial to loosen or tighten the fit. For those with long hair, you’ll be glad to know that the IRH Dial-Fit-System can accommodate a ponytail.
In terms of safety, the helmet uses a three-point harness to keep it securely in place. This helps to reduce the tendency of the hat to shift forward or backward when on the move.
Your child can ride with confidence as this helmet is SEI certified. It also comes with a visor for face and eye protection.
- Measurements – 13” x 9” x 8”
- Head dimensions
- XS – 19.2″ to 20″
- S/M – 20. to 56 cm
- L/XL – 57 to 62 cm
- Weight – 10 ounces
- Best for – New to intermediate riders
- Super comfy
- Removable lining makes cleaning easier
- Three-point harness keeps the helmet steady when riding
- Nine-piece ventilation system keeps the head cool on hot days
- Quick release buckle clips on and off with ease
- IRH Dial-Fit-System for quick and seamless head adjustment
- Sturdy construction ideal for young riders
- Low profile with sufficient room to grow
- Visor is not durable
- Fits a little low
This Ovation helmet is an excellent purchase if you are looking for a comfortable, lightweight horse riding hat for young adults. The helmet features a low-profile design that makes it look cool and modern. It’s also a fairly affordable choice.
The outer shell is made of a high-quality, high-density ABS material for optimal protection. The interior is designed with mesh vents to facilitate air flow and help protect your kid from bugs and debris. The interior is also lined with a removable liner that is easy to clean.
The lining is soft for cushioning the head and absorbs moisture created while riding. Its spacious interior can even comfortably fit a ponytail inside. For maximum comfort, the chin strap is also fitted with a soft, cushioned lining that provides a more comfortable experience while keeping your helmet from flapping around.
- Measurements – 12” x 6” x 6”
- Head dimensions:
- XSmall/Small – 2.5” – 2.6”
- Small/Medium – 2.6” – 2.8”
- Medium/Large – 2.8” – 2.85”
- Large/XLarge – 2.85” – 3”
- Weight – 1 pound
- Best for – Teens
- Lightweight, durable construction
- Easy to adjust dial
- Easy to adjust chin straps
- Comfortable and fits great
- Interior lining is removable for easier cleaning
- Cushiony interior can accommodate a ponytail
- Cut around the ears for better hearing
- Adjustable edges can be scratchy
- Interior padding is relatively thin
When it comes to choosing the best equestrian helmet for your little one, comfort and safety are the two most important things to consider. Indeed, there is nothing worse than sustaining a head injury simply because of a poorly fitting helmet.
Generally, helmets are designed for three different head shapes—long oval, intermediate oval, and round oval. Your selection will typically depend on the crown of your child’s head. With that in mind, here is our buyer’s guide to help you choose the most comfortably fitting helmet for your kid.
Best Equestrian Helmet for Young Kids:
The UNISTRENGH Comfy Velvet Texture Equestrian Helmet is the best horse riding helmet for young kids. It has a solid construction to protect your kid from sustaining head injuries and it’s relatively light to carry. The helmet also meets required safety standards—so your child can ride with the knowledge that they are well-protected.
Another feature that makes this helmet ideal for young kids is the fact that it is pretty easy to clean. It has a good texture and the interior material is removable so you can take it out when washing for easier cleaning. Your kid will appreciate the cool design and comfortable fit of this helmet.
Best Equestrian Helmet for Ages 2-8:
If you’re looking for a good equestrian hat for a child between the ages of two and eight, the Xiaozxwlhq Adjustable Horse Riding Hat is an excellent choice. It is lightweight, but sturdy—so your young one can carry it by themselves without too much trouble. The sturdy construction will go a long way toward protecting their head in the event of a fall. The support is also adjustable, which is great for growing kids.
Best Kid’s Helmet for Girls:
The Ovation Equestrian-Helmets Deluxe Schooler is a great helmet for girls. It is so lightweight it can fit an 8-year-old without feeling cumbersome and strong enough to protect their head while riding. The liner on the inside is removable to make cleaning easier. In addition, there are numerous attractive colors to choose from.
Best Equestrian Helmet for Beginners:
For riders who are just starting out, the Equi-Lite Horse Riding Helmet for Kids is a great choice. Your child will feel comfortable wearing this helmet. It offers excellent ventilation with four rear and five front cooling vents, providing maximum air circulation to keep your kid cool. For maximum comfort, there is a soft inner padding to cushion the head while riding.
Best Horse Riding Helmet for Maximum Comfort:
The Ovation Protege Riding Helmet is the best equestrian helmet for maximum comfort. Using this helmet is quite simple. There is an adjustable dial to help you fit the helmet as securely as possible. An adjustable harness, which features a quick release buckle, provides additional support when you are on the horse.
A good equestrian helmet should be sturdy, durable, and comfortable in order to protect your head when horseback riding. Be sure to measure your child’s head circumference before making a purchase in order to get the best fit. We hope you’re able to find the best equestrian helmet out there!