Charles Owen is an established British manufacturer of horse riding helmets that has been producing helmets for more than 100 years. Since the company’s founding, in 1911, its mission has been to raise the bar in equestrian safety standards. Today, under the leadership of Charles Owen’s great grandson, the company remains committed to this same mission—but now on a global scale.
Indeed, Charles Owen Hampton helmets are popular among top competitors around the globe because of their unparalleled safety standards and exceptional style. Most of these helmets are designed with fiberglass shells, spreading the force of an impact in the event of a fall. Beneath this shell is a layer of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene), which, in tandem with the outer shell, further absorbs the shock of an impact and mitigates the potential for brain damage.
The Best Charles Owen Hampton Helmets
Whether you are a beginner or advanced rider, getting the right helmet could literally save your life. As such, we have compiled this guide to help you find the best Charles Owen Hampton helmets for your particular needs.
If you need a comfortable and durable equestrian horse riding helmet to protect your head when riding, this Charles Owen helmet is a great choice. It is available in several different colors, both standard and heat reflective, depending on your needs.
To prevent the buildup of unwanted odors, there is an inner liner with antimicrobial properties that are resistant to odor-causing bacteria. This liner is sized to allow for the closest, most comfortable fit. It is attached using a sturdy hook and loop closure to avoid any pressure points that may cause discomfort.
You can ride with confidence when wearing this helmet. Like all Charles Owen helmets, this hat is designed to stay in place while riding in order to protect your head in the event of a fall. Thanks to its patented GRpx technology harness, it nicely grips the occipital bone (located at the base of your skull) to keep the helmet from shifting. This harness features self-adjusting cups that grip your skull for a superior fit.
You will have an easy time cleaning and maintaining this helmet. It has a quick dry construction with interwoven silver ions. You can remove the lush headband when washing and even replace it when it starts wearing down. The replaceable headbands are available in multiple sizes to give you room for growth or to allow you to tame your hair inside the helmet.
- Measurements – 12.7” x 8.7” x 8.7”
- Weight – 2 Pounds
- Type – Four-point harness
- Colors – Black, Navy, Rose Gold, Silver
- Size – 7 (22”-22.4”)
- Included – Removable liner
- Best for – Pleasure riding
- Easy to clean
- Durable, quick dry construction
- Washable and removable cup headband
- GRpx technology harness with self-adjusting cups helps to secure the helmet in place and prevent accidental displacement
- Sized antimicrobial liner for a comfortable fit and odor prevention
- Efficient front and rear ventilation slots for increased air flow
- Crush-resistant outer shell
- Heat reflective color options (silver, rosegold)
- Certified to ASTM standards for public safety
- Available in regular and round fit
- Not a great fit for a large head
- Dry cleaning can ruin the finish
The JR8 is an affordable, low-profile helmet designed for the everyday rider. If you are looking for a simple, high-performance horse riding helmet for the freshman season, this is a great option. It is a classic looking helmet with a similar design as the GR8—the main difference being in the straps. Due to its low price and clean, elegant look, this helmet is particularly suitable for kids and beginners.
The quality and styling of the helmet is quite impressive. The cover features weather-resistant microfiber suede with a sleek, adjustable nylon harness for additional strength, which makes the hat excellent for beginners, young riders, and the budget conscious. The helmet also comes with a removable headband that’ll keep you feeling dry and fresh when riding. It is also removable and easy to clean.
You will enjoy the comfort and protection that this timeless head gear offers. It is available in long-oval and round head shapes to allow for a perfect fit. In addition, it is equipped with two ventilation keyholes to facilitate airflow and keep your head cool during the ride.
The helmet has a remarkable antimicrobial liner with Velcro attachment. This liner is infused with silver ions, which is also removable and washable as well.
- Measurements –12” x 12” x 8”
- Weight – 1.9 Pounds
- Colors – Oval Black
- Size – 7 1/8 (58cm)
- Included – Removable washable headband
- Best for – Kids/beginners/schooling
- Removable antimicrobial liner to keep the helmet clean and fresh
- Removable washable headband keeps your head dry and comfortable
- Offered in long-oval and round head shapes to allow for a perfect fit
- Weather-resistant cover
- Budget friendly
- Comfortable interior
- Has two ventilation holes for airflow
- Adjustable nylon harness
- Cool, low-profile design
- Meets all required safety standards
- The suede is a little high maintenance
- Ventilation could be better
- Harness not the highest quality
The iconic GR8, originally introduced in 1998, is one of the most beautiful helmet choices that also comes with high-performance features. The helmet maintains the unique, low-profile that is synonymous with Charles Owen models.
This GR8 is sleek and sporty with three international safety certifications (PAS, ASTM, and British safety standards)—so you can ride with the confidence that you are well protected. The helmet is offered in several microfiber suede combinations with reinforced nylon on the harness for extra security. For diversity, there are different color combinations that appeal to a wide range of personalities.
For endurance in sports and outdoors activities, the helmet cover has been treated to protect it against scuffing and marking, greatly improving its longevity. Newer models will also include a water repellant cover for winter wear.
You will also benefit from an interior liner, which is washable, removable and includes antimicrobial properties to fight against sweat-induced odors. When washing the helmet, simply remove the headband and liner for easier cleaning. If you notice any signs of wear on the headband, you can easily remove it and replace it with a new one without having to purchase a new helmet.
- Measurements – 12.7” x 8.5” x 8.5”
- Weight – 1.8 pounds
- Colors – Black
- Size – 57, 58 cm
- Included – Removable headband
- Best for – Fashion conscious riders
- Removable and washable liner with antimicrobial properties
- Removable and washable headband for easier cleaning
- Stylish and comfortable design
- Tough, weather-resistant cover
- Offered in different color combinations
- Has three international safety certifications
- Low, modern profile
- Can get hot in the summer
You can easily secure the helmet on your head using the exclusive heavy-duty GRpx technology harness. This adjuster clip is strong, durable, and designed to stay out of your face for a more comfortable ride.
The interior of this hat will keep you so comfortable that you’ll forget you’re wearing a helmet at all. Unlike many beginner equestrian helmets, the AYR8 is equipped with high-flow air vents designed to cool your head as the temperatures rise. The helmet also comes with a removable visor to keep debris out of your face when riding. For optimal comfort, there is a removable satin lining that wicks away sweat and moisture, which may cause itching or irritate your hair.
- Measurements – 11” x 9” x 8”
- Weight – 2.5 pounds
- Colors – Black, Blue, Brown, Dark Grey, Purple, Tan, White
- Size – 6 5/8
- Best for – Intermediate riders
- 12 centrally-located ventilation slots for enhanced airflow
- Heavy-duty GRpx technology harness
- Elegant, low profile
- Wide range of color options for center and side panels
- Washable, removable headband
- Antimicrobial lining to reduce odor
- Optional heat-reflective central panel
- Laces at the back for a better fit
- Strap is easy to adjust
- Straps are made of PU (Polyurethane) instead of real leather
Your child will benefit from a variety of safety features. This includes a fully-adjustable four-point harness, helping keep the helmet securely in place. You can choose between the standard and round version to ensure the perfect fit for your child.
As young heads can get uncomfortable when it gets hot, this helmet offers excellent ventilation to ensure sufficient airflow. This comes in the form of eight ventilation holes at the front and back, which supply airflow when horse riding. In addition, the hat is covered by a luxurious velvet that also allows free airflow.
- Weight – 0.8 ounces
- Colors – Black
- Size – 00 ½ to 5
- Best for – Junior riders
- Available in both standard and round fit
- Pony Club approved; also ideal for Riding Club, new rider, endurance, hacking, and cross-country
- Comes with free silk cover that allows airflow for optimal breathability
- Equipped with eight ventilation holes—four at the front and four at the back to keep the head cool
- Meets high safety standards
- Fully adjustable harness for securing the helmet in place
- No cons
Before you invest in a new horse riding helmet, it is important to consider the type of riding you will be doing. Charles Owen Hampton helmets are designed for different types of horse riding with varying risks. A cross country event rider or a racing jockey is at a different risk of injury than a dressage rider or showjumper.
See our buyer’s guide below to find the best Charles Owen Hampton helmet for your horse riding needs.
Best Charles Owen Helmet for Pleasure Riding:
The Charles Owen Pro II Jockey Skull is a great helmet for pleasure riding. It is one of the most breathable cross country skull caps on the market today, designed to keep your head cool as you ride. The helmet is equipped with highly-efficient ventilation slots at both the front and back, which help to facilitate air flow, combat sweat, and protect you against odors.
Best Budget-friendly Charles Owen Helmet:
If you are looking for a budget-friendly helmet for the hunt field or competition arena, the JR8 is an excellent choice. It has a nice design and offers sleek, durable features at an affordable price. The best part is that you will have an easy time maintaining this helmet. It has a removable headband—so you can easily detach it for easier cleaning when washing the helmet.
Most Stylish Charles Owen Helmet:
The GR8 is the most elegant Charles Owen helmet for beginners. This helmet is especially suitable for a round face with its softly-rounded brim. It is stylish, comfortable, and equipped with modern safety features—including a hard, weather-resistant microfiber suede cover. Additionally, a removable (and washable) drape headband has been included to give the helmet a fresh feel.
Best Charles Owen Helmet for Girls:
The Charles Owen AYR8 Helmet is an excellent helmet for intermediate riders. Girls will especially love this helmet as it is comfortable to wear, available in many colors, and has a strong, durable construction for optimal safety. It is a great option for when you are transitioning from schooling to show ring.
Best Charles Owen Helmet for Junior Riders:
If your child is active in equestrian sports, they will appreciate the Charles Owen Children’s Young Rider. As the name suggests, the Young Rider is specifically designed to offer optimal head protection for young riders. The helmet is ideal for a wide range of competitions, including hacking, endurance, cross-country, new rider, and riding club events.
The most important thing to consider when looking for a Charles Owen Hampton helmet is the type of riding you will be doing. Different horse riders prefer different types of riding, so you need to choose a helmet that suits the activity. Hopefully this guide will help you find the best Charles Owen helmet for your needs.