Flies and insects aren’t just a nuisance to horses—they can also be hazardous because they carry diseases. Unfortunately, you can’t get rid of flies completely, but you can reduce their numbers.
Setting up fly-management plans, like a barn spray system that periodically dispenses insecticides into the air, can be costly. The most effective solution that improves the horse’s environment involves treating the horse itself. A cost-effective and helpful way to manage this issue is the use of fly sprays. While there are several types of fly sprays available in the market, this article will help you choose the best one to meet your needs.
The Best Fly Spray for Horses
We understand that choosing the perfect fly spray can be challenging, as some products simply do not deliver on what they promise. Hence, we’ve tested several options to find the most effective. In this post, you’ll find our review and recommendations of the best fly sprays for horses.
When you can’t cover your horse in fly-free zones, Farnam Endure Fly Spray is your ideal solution. Its unique formula will remain active even in wet situations, whether from rain or sweat. It contains permethrins and comes in a 32-oz premixed pump spray bottle.
One of its major advantages is that it can last up to two weeks before any need for reapplication. It achieves this through a RepeLock conditioner, which binds itself to your horse’s hair shaft.
This prevents the spray from getting washed off by your horse’s sweat. The fly spray also protects horses from nuisance flies, deer ticks, and gnats that transmit Lyme disease and other diseases. Although this fly spray is more expensive than others on our list, it’s worth the price.
- Weight – 8.4 pounds
- Measurements – 4.7” x 7.8” x 13”
- Ingredients – 5 percent butoxypolypropylene glycol, 1.6 percent piperonyl butoxide, 0.2 percent pyrethrins, 0.15 percent cypermethrin
- Package – Available in 32 ounces with gallon refill and trigger sprayer
- Age Range – All life stages
- Breed Recommendation – Large
- It provides up to two weeks of fly control
- It protects against nuisance flies, lice, ticks, and gnats
- It repels and quickly knocks down mosquitoes
- It kills and repels deer ticks that transmit Lyme disease
- It comes with a RepeLock conditioner that binds to your horse’s hair shaft
- It remains active and effective even on wet surfaces
- It’s available in roll-on, refill, and economy packs
- It’s safe for use on both horses and dogs
- It’s not as cheap as other options
Absorbine Ultrashield Spray is designed to repel and kill over 40 different fly species. It’s a premise spray, meaning that apart from applying it directly on the horse, you can also spray it on different surfaces within the barn, including floors and walls.
You can also apply the fly spray in horse trailers and grooming brushes to protect and condition the coat of your horse. The spray ingredients are effective in killing crawling species such as carpenter ants and deer ticks.
The ingredients consist of natural pyrethrins, coat conditioner, and sunscreens with lanolin and aloe to keep a horse safe and its hair looking great. The water-based formula is safe for use on dogs and horses.
The most outstanding feature of this product is that you can use it all year round as it is weatherproof. Thanks to its UltraBond Technology, the spray offers waterproof protection for up to 17 days. Note that Absorbine UltraShield Ex Fly Spray has a rather strong smell.
- Weight – 2.2 pounds
- Measurements – 3.14” x 4.5” x 11.2”
- Size – 32 oz. Quart w/sprayer
- Breed Recommendation – All breeds
- Age Range – All life stages
- Included – Repellent and Insecticide
- Specific Use – Coat
- It works pretty quickly and lasts for days
- It has an effective spray
- It sticks to your horse’s coat in every weather condition
- It works perfectly throughout your barn
- The unique formula makes it weatherproof and sweat-resistant
- You can apply this water-based and ready-to-use formula to your horses, dogs, barns, or ponies
- The spray has a strong smell
- The strong ingredients may cause irritation
Farnam Bronco Fly Spray contains piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins, which ensure quick performance and help to deter a wide range of flying pests, including deer flies, fleas, ticks, gnats, and lice. The repellent spray bottle is easy to handle and can be taken to the barn from home.
It contains citronella, which prevents the spray from having any strong smell like other options. This Farnam Bronco Fly Horse Spray is safe to use under a cover, in barns, on ponies, foals, and horses. You can even apply this non-oily spray as a wipe to make your horses more comfortable. These features, combined with the price, make this spray the best option for the money.
- Weight – 8.3 pounds
- Age Range – Adult
- Size – 128 ounces
- Active Ingredients – 0.5 percent Piperonyl Butoxide, 0.1 percent Permethrin, 0.033 percent Prallethrin, and 99.367 percent of other ingredients
- Specific Use – Coat
- Measurements – 4.5” x 7.1” x 11.6”
- It’s easy to carry and apply
- It repels and kills stable, deer, face, horse, horse and horn flies, chiggers, ticks, fleas, gnats, mosquitoes, and lice
- It features non-oily consistency
- The water-based, ready-to-use formula has a nice citronella scent
- It’s available in 32-oz or gallon sizes and ready-to-use spray
- You can use it as a premise spray around and in horse stables and barns
- Repellent and insecticide for use on dogs and horses
- It’s economical and very effective
- Ingredients may cause horse reaction
Manna Pro-Force is a popular brand in the equine community. If you are familiar with this name, this should be an excellent example of their stellar products. Like the UltraShield product, this fly spray guarantees rapid knockdown and can be used as a premise spray for repelling and killing more than 70 fly species.
Once you spray this ready-to-use formula on mosquitoes, they will die instantly. The spray also slows down those big, distracting horse flies and prevents them from latching on your horse. You can even use the spray on dogs as it effectively kills ticks and fleas, too.
Like the UltraShield EX and Farnam fly spray, this product can protect your horse and dog for up to 14 days before requiring reapplication. However, in-between reapplication, you must regularly brush and groom your horse’s coat to maintain its healthy shine.
- Measurements – 4” x 7” x 12.38”
- Item Weight – 8 pounds
- Size – 32 oz
- Age Range – All life stages
- Active Ingredients – 0.1 percent Pyrethrins, 0.2 percent Permethrin, and MGK 264 0.48 percent
- Specific Use – Horse, dogs, and ponies
- It can be used as a premise spray
- It effectively kills ticks and fleas on dogs, horses, and ponies
- This ready-to-use formula doesn’t require any mixing
- It can protect your horse for up to 14 days
- It repels and kills more than 70 fly species, including nuisance and biting flies, mosquitoes, and ticks
- It’s affordable and offers value for the money
- It’s available in 1-gallon and 32-oz sizes
- It might require reapplication within the mentioned 14 days
Skeeter Screen 90700 Horse Spray is another water-based formula that protects your horses and other pets against nuisance and biting insects. This essential oil horse spray is pyrethrin and deet-free, lasts for several hours, and will leave your horse’s coat dry and smooth.
It repels mites, no-see-ums, ticks, flies, mosquitoes, fleas, gnats, and many other biting insects. It is also suitable for any horse with sensitive skin.
The most outstanding feature of the Skeeter Screen Horse Spray is that it’s earth-friendly and biodegradable—so it can be used in premises, within barns, and on a horse’s coat. It is not greasy or oily and non-staining and can last for several hours. You can drive annoying insects and bugs far from your horse and pets by using this horse spray.
- Item Weight – 2 pounds
- Measurements – 2.5” x 4.5” x 12”
- Size – 32 ounces
- Age Range – All life stages
- Inert Ingredients – sodium bicarbonate, calcium, benzoate, and water
- Active Ingredients – thyme oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, geranium oil, clove oil, geraniol, and cedar oil
- It is deet-free
- Scents of natural essential oil formula
- It is safe for all kinds of pets
- It’s suitable for any horse with sensitive skin
- It is pet safe
- This water-based formula doesn’t require any mixing
- It is earth-friendly and biodegradable
- It’s not greasy or oily and doesn’t stain
- The smell may irritate some pets
Finding the most suitable horse fly spray for horses is a trial and error issue among many horse owners. If you have ever found yourself in this situation, then you understand how exasperating it can be. You might end up wasting money on different fly sprays without significant results. However, the listed products are very effective and will provide lasting solutions to your problems.
The Best Fly Spray for Long-lasting Protection:
If you need a fly spray with long-lasting protection for your horse, the Farnam Equine Endure Fly Spray is the ideal option. Thanks to a RepeLock conditioner that binds itself to the hair shaft of your horse, it can last up to two weeks before any need for reapplication. The conditioner also prevents the spray from getting washed off by your horse’s sweat. Another long-lasting solution is the Absorbine UltraShield Fly Spray.
The Best Weatherproof Fly Spray:
If you are looking for a fly spray that’s effective regardless of the weather, go for the Absorbine UltraShield Fly Spray, which is waterproof for all year round application. This water-based spray also offers sweat-resistant protection for several days, thanks to its UltraBond Technology. However, keep in mind that this spray has a strong smell.
The Best Fly Spray with a Pleasant Smell:
If you don’t like the strong smell that comes with certain fly sprays, consider getting the Farnam Bronco Horse Fly Spray. It contains citronella, which helps damp down some of the stronger odors associated with such sprays. It is safe to use in barns and on horses, foals, and ponies. You can even apply this non-oily spray as a wipe to offer your horses more comfort.
Best Value for the Money:
The Farnam Bronco Horse Fly Spray offers the best value for the money. It ensures quick performance and protects your horse from lice, deer flies, ticks, and more. The water-based, ready-to-use formula has a pleasant scent, and the bottle is easy to handle. All these features combined with the affordable price make the spray worth the money.
Most Versatile Fly Spray:
The Manna Pro-Force Fly Spray offers a high-performance repellent, protecting your horse against over 70 fly species. The ready-to-use formula guarantees rapid knockdown of mosquitoes and can also function as a premise spray. Another versatile option is the Absorbine UltraShield Fly Spray, which kills and repels over 40 fly species.
Best Fly Spray with Natural Ingredients:
If you prefer completely natural products, the Skeeter Screen 90700 Spray is ideal for your horse. It is earth-friendly and biodegradable—so it can be used in premises, barns, and on a horse’s coat. It’s not greasy or oily and non-staining; hence, you can use it on many pets apart from horses.
Several factors come into play when determining the best fly spray for horses. After going through this review and buying guide, we hope you can make an informed buying decision. All the listed products offer great solutions to those frustrating horse flies. Choose the most ideal option for your particular needs and enjoy your ride.