While it is true that when it comes to sports, the earlier you start practicing the better you get with age. However, it cannot be denied that children are more susceptible to injury and, when it comes to sports that include riding a horse, the chances of them losing their balance, falling, and sustaining potential head trauma is a serious consideration.
We understand that the first priority of any parent is the safety of their child. It is important to ensure that, in the case of an accident, they are protected from severe head injuries. Out of all the body parts, the brain needs the maximum protection as it is more prone to severe injuries that can be complicated as well as life-threatening. It’s important for your child to have their head protected by a strong and reliable helmet while they practice or take part in competitions.
But with so many options in the market, how do you find the ideal helmet for kids—something that will protect your child and do so in a comfortable manner.
We have created a collection of the top five children’s horse riding helmets that are a great fit for your child. With detailed descriptions and features, you will be able to choose the best helmet for your child in no time.
What to Consider When Buying A Riding Helmet For Your Child
- Quality: Whether it is for adults or children, buying quality helmets is mandatory, especially when it comes to sports. So when you are selecting a helmet for your child, check the brand’s reputation, the materials used as well as its certification.
- Padding: For comprehensive protection, a perfect helmet needs to have enough padding in the inner lining. While the outer shell protects your child’s head from the ground, the padding reduces the impact of a fall. You can look for a helmet incorporated with EPS (Expanded Polystyrene), a harder type of foam, as it will boast of proper insulation, resistance to water, and durability.
- Fitting: There are two things that constitute a perfect fit in a helmet. The right size and adjustable straps. Some advanced helmets also provide an adjustable dial to adjust the circumference. This ensures that the helmet remains in its place throughout the ride.
Being one of the most renowned helmet brands that have been selling certified horse riding helmets for quite a few years now, Troxel has carved out a place for its brand among the top helmet manufacturers in the world.
The fact that their helmets are certified makes it easier for you to evaluate their quality and efficiency in protecting your child from a serious injury in the case of an accident.
This helmet comes in various sizes, thus making it easier to choose one that perfectly fits your child. It also has a secured buckle and strap that ensures that the helmet remains securely fastened throughout its use.
Children can be more prone to skin irritation—so choosing a helmet that is made of high-quality fabrics is important. Luckily for you, the Troxel Children Spirit Safety Horse Riding helmet ticks off this point of your checklist as well, ensuring your child’s comfort throughout.
Children are comparatively pickier when it comes to wearing a helmet. What matters most to youngsters are colors and designs. Fortunately, this helmet delivers a variety of wonderful bright-colored designs that will surely catch your child’s eyes.
- Advanced safety features
- Perfect fit for keeping that growing brain protected
- Sturdy adjustable helmet
- Plenty of ventilation
- ASTM certified
- Variety of colors
- Affordable price
- The weight of the helmet isn’t known
- Insufficient information on materials used
However, no one wants the financial burden of buying a new helmet every few months. With the LNIMI helmet, no problem. It has a fair amount of flexibility to adjust its size so that your child can wear it for a little longer period of time.
LNIMI Children’s adjustable horse riding hat comes with a small dial at the back which can be adjusted as needed so that it fits your child perfectly.
Apart from that, it also has an adjustable chin strap made of high-quality fabric that can be used to tighten or loosen the helmet. This feature also comes in handy when your child wants to flaunt a certain hairstyle that needs more space in the helmet.
It has extensive padding throughout the inner lining of the helmet. Beyond its proper fit, the overall padding across the helmet will protect your child in case of an accidental fall.
You have to make sure that there is an equal amount of padding throughout the inner lining and that not a single part has been missed. With this helmet, you do not have to worry about your child not having enough cushioning to reduce the impact of a fall.
In addition to these, this Adjustable Horse Riding Hat is properly ventilated and meets all the safety standards to make it a reliable choice.
The only issue with this helmet is that there are no colour options and you can only expect a pink-colored helmet. It won’t be everyone’s top pick, but it is a safe pick for sure.
- Dimension: 10.63 x 7.48 x 4.3 inches
- Materials Used: PVC and EPS
- Padded liner for impact absorption
- Adjustment dial to fit various head sizes
- Adjustable chinstrap
- Superior ventilation
- Certified helmet guarantees protection from brain injuries
- No color options
A huge factor that determines whether the helmet is effective in protecting your child against an accidental fall or not is the material that goes into making it. This Equestrian helmet is made of PVC. Helmets made out of PVC are sturdy and tough.
They provide adequate protection against any high-impact fall, which guarantees that even if your child falls off the horse and strikes the ground—the helmet will remain intact without cracking under the force, which maintains its protective integrity for your child.
The helmet has extensive ventilation holes to permit adequate air circulation that will help keep your child’s head cool and ensure that they are comfortable wearing it.
Just like the previous children’s horse riding helmet, this too has an adjustable strap which makes it easier for you to ensure that the helmet fits your child perfectly well.
However, you must be careful of the helmet size while buying this helmet. It is designed for kids ranging from the ages of two to six years old. Although this entire age range is generally classified as kids, sizes will certainly vary.
Make sure that you check the sizing chart for accurate sizing, otherwise it will not fit your child’s head properly and protection will be compromised.
To top off all these benefits and features, this helmet is also certified by the safety requirements of CE.
- Dimension: 10.6 x 7.5 x 4.3 inches
- Material Used: PVC and EPS
- Made of high-quality material
- Comfortable and durable material
- Internal foam padding with EPS
- Convenient strap adjustment features
- Certified and affordable price
- No adjustable dial at the back
Should you be buying a helmet for a toddler, it doesn’t mean that the style quotient doesn’t matter. This Equestrian helmet’s outer shell has a velvet layer with a matte finish which gives it an elegant look.
One of the best features of this helmet is its chin strap. Unlike most straps, it’s made of high-quality, soft fabric which doesn’t chafe as much when it brushes against your child’s chin during a ride.
Children have comparatively softer and more sensitive skin. Even though a high-quality fabric for the straps are important for adults as well, it’s all the more relevant for kids
A standout feature of this helmet is its weight—it’s light. Kids are delicate and horse riding alone is a challenge for them. Horse riding with a heavy helmet becomes a nightmare. As a lightweight product, this helmet adds to the child’s comfort and ensures a smooth ride. This helmet has been made keeping in mind all the CE Equestrian safety standards.
- Length: 10.8inch(Approx)
- Width: 7.7inch (Approx)
- Circumference: 18.9 – 21.2 inches
- Materials Used: Velvet and ABS plastic
- Quality helmet for protection against head injury
- At par with CE Equestrian safety standards
- Lightweight helmet
- Made from protective material
- Soft-fabric chin strap with adjustable sizing
- No details on ventilation design are provided
The LXFTK Helmet is one of the top-quality helmets you’ll come across. The high-quality EPS efficiently absorbs the shock and impact that your child’s head might receive in a fall. It also ensures that their head receives enough padding without adding to the helmet’s weight.
The helmet has a smartly designed ventilation structure for extra air flow. It has an internal—as well as external—exhaust to facilitate a path of airflow, thereby preventing sweaty heads.
Thanks to its adjustable dial at the back of the shell, it can more closely match the circumference of your child’s head, making it a little tighter or looser depending on preference.
With a sturdy outer shell made of ABS and a smart design that meets the safety standards set by CE, this is one of the best helmets on the market for your child.
One might notice that the product’s price is comparatively higher than the rest of the helmets. However, considering the quality and protection this helmet has to offer, it is a fair price.
The only drawback is the fact that it has only one option to choose from, which is a matte black finish helmet. However, if your kid loves black or doesn’t care about the color at all—then this is definitely a great match.
- Size: 20.07-21.26 inches
- Color: Black
- High-quality EPS for impact absorption
- ABS material protective helmet
- Smartly designed airflow vents
- Meets safety standards set by CE
- Washable liner
- Durable and lightweight
- A little costly
- Only one color available
Having looked at some of the best children’s horse riding helmets, you might still be a little confused about which helmet is ideal for your child. Hence, here’s a summary recap for you before we wrap up to help you choose:
- If your kid is really picky about the appearance and color of the helmet, then you should go for the first one. The first helmet on the list is not only attractive but also a high-quality choice, ensuring that your child is protected.
- If you are looking for a helmet that has an adjustable dial that lets you adjust the circumference according to your child’s head size, then you should choose the second or fifth helmet on this list.
- If the weight of the helmet is a matter of concern for you, then the last two helmets are your best pick. They are lightweight, yet do not compromise quality. After all, children are delicate and bulky helmets are not an ideal fit for them.
- Although all of these helmets have a basic ventilation system that permits adequate airflow through the vents, if you want one with better ventilation, then you should definitely pick the second or fifth choices.
All of these children’s horse riding helmets are equally good in terms of quality and efficiency and are ASTM- and CE-certified helmets. Also, none of the brands have compromised on providing adequate cushioning throughout the inner lining.
Since these are quality helmets from reputable brands, the basic features are provided in all of them. We hope this buyer’s guide helped you in zeroing in on the best choice for your child’s needs. For more helpful helmet reviews, visit us at Gallopandgo.com.