Horseback riding is a popular and exhilarating sport, both as a hobby and as a profession. There’s no surprise why people love the thrill and excitement that accompanies this sport. Still, it’s crucial to consider the potential dangers involved.
Horse racing is no cakewalk. When you’re a jockey in the middle of a professional race, the levels of difficulty involved are hard to wrap one’s mind around unless you’ve personally experienced it. However, what’s much easier to imagine is the importance of adequate protection before you mount the horse.
After all, it’s no secret that in spite of its popularity, it’s one of the most dangerous sports with high chances of accidents. On average, about 27 to 44 percent of falls lead to serious injury. Falling from a racing horse often translates to a high-impact fall. Low-quality helmets just won’t cut it. That’s why higher quality racing helmets, specifically designed for jockeys, are the way to go.
We decided to make your online scouring a little easier and have done the research for you. Here are the top five jockey helmets that every jockey should seriously consider.
Things To Check While Buying A Jockey Helmet
If it is your first time selecting the a jockey helmet, then before you check the helmets, there are certain basic functionalities and safety benefits that every helmet should have:
- Quality: As it is for every other product, nothing can beat the importance of a product’s quality and its security features. When buying a helmet, check the material that has been used and if it is effective in protecting your skull as well as providing facial protection against accidents and falls. Jockey helmet shells should be tough.
- Comfort: Apart from the basic functionalities, your comfort should also be a priority. If you are not comfortable wearing the helmet, then you will not be able to give the race your undivided attention which will, in turn, hamper your performance.
- Air circulation: Adequate air circulation will make sure that the sweat doesn’t pile up on your head and trickle down your face. In fact, it will speed up the process of evaporation. This, too, is a part of the comfort factor and an equally important consideration.
- Buckle and Strap: Your helmet can only protect you if it has an excellent grip around your head, which is the job of the buckle and strap. Make sure that the strap is steady and the helmet is perfect for your head size. Also, the strap should prevent the jockey helmet shells from slipping back.
1. Troxel Spirit Horseback Riding Helmet
As mentioned above, the first thing to keep in mind while buying the best jockey helmet is quality. Its main purpose is protecting against serious or fatal head injuries. That’s exactly what you get with the Troxel Spirit Horseback Riding helmet.
This helmet is sturdy, tough and well-designed for absorbing high-impact shocks. Made in the USA, this helmet adheres to the certified safety standards by the ASTM and comes with a flex tip visor, dial-fit system, 20 percent mesh, and a removable and washable headliner.
Its smart design provides comprehensive protection for your skull. The textured surface mesh inside the helmet mitigates the force of an exterior blow. Likewise, this material protects the head from impacts against the interior of the helmet as well.
Moreover, this product comes in 16 different colors and designs, offering you a wide variety of options.
- Dimension: 13 x 9.25 x 8.25 inches
- Sizes: Extra Small | Small | Medium | Large | 13 x 9.25 x 8.25 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Made in the USA
- 20 percent mesh inside helmet further mitigates impacts
- Flex tip visor and dial fit system
- Removable and washable headliner
- Smart design offers comprehensive skull protection
- 16 different color combinations
- Affordable price
- Might slip back if you don’t get the right size
2. UNISTRENGH Equestrian Helmet Velvet Comfy Horse Riding Hats
No matter how strong and sturdy your helmet is, if it’s not comfortable—it can be a distracting and detrimental factor throughout a race.
Alongside enhanced comfort, this particular jockey helmet provides your skull with protective cushioning and an accurate fit. The significance of accurate fit is to ensure that when you are riding a horse, the frequent and sharp movements should not displace your helmet from its position.
For instance, if the helmet is too loose, it will likely slip back—defeating the entire purpose of wearing a helmet altogether.
The Equestrian Velvet Comfy Helmet also has a breathable material and four vents that permit air circulation, maintaining internal temperature in the process.
Air circulation is an important add-on to comfort because, without proper ventilation slots, your helmet will be bathing in sweat from the inside. This sweat, in turn, will trickle down on your face, potentially distracting your focus or obscuring vision.
This jockey helmet meets the accepted helmet standards by CE and has a removable headliner. While a great product, it lacks variety as it is only available in plain black.
- Color: Black
- Material: ABS, EPS, and Velvet
- Sizes: Small: 19.68-20.87 inches | Medium 20.08-21 inches | Large 22.05-23.23x 20.08-21.65 x 22.05-23.23 inches
- CE Equestrian safety standards
- Available in three sizes
- Quality Material
- Four ventilation slots
- The helmet does not slip
- Removable headliner
- Extended sun visor
- Adjustable nylon harness
- Affordable price
- No options in terms of color and design
3. UNISTRENGTH Velvet Texture Equestrian Helmet
This UNISTRENGTH Velvet Texture Equestrian Helmet is a stylish and elegant choice for a jockey helmet. The strong and tough outer shell of this helmet is covered with a layer of black velvet with durable solver marks. The combination creates a winning look for winners like you.
Subtracting the fashion factor for a moment, there’s another big benefit that comes with the Velvet Texture Helmet—it’s remarkably lightweight, weighing approximately 1.14 lbs, (subject to variation depending on the size you choose).
If you are new in this field, you might not recognize the importance of a lightweight helmet. However, professionally experienced jockeys know just how important every ounce is. Keeping your equipment light without giving up essential head protection is always a winning combination.
The adjustable chin straps, made of soft microfiber, work efficiently in securing the helmet tightly in its place. Like the previous product, there are no color variations to browse through other than black.
- Sizes: X-Small 21.26 inches | Small 22 inches | Medium 22.83 inches | Large 23.62 | X-Large 24.41 inches
- Weight: 1.14 lb
- Material: EPS, ABS, Velvet
- High-density EPS, plastic EPS, and a layer of mesh for protection
- Smooth velvety exterior with stylish silver marks
- Lightweight design
- Available in five different sizes
- Adjustable nylon harness
- CE Certified
- Affordable helmet
- No color options
4. UNISTRENGTH Horse Riding Helmet
Another beautiful helmet by UNISTRENGTH, this horse riding helmet has everything that a perfect jockey helmet should have. This one is a complete package.
It has an extended sun visor that protects your eyes from the harsh sun rays. It also consists of a flip-fold, detachable headliner that is easy to wash and is durable.
The helmet is designed with proper air ventilation with discreet ventilation holes to accelerate the sweat evaporation process.
It has a convenient and easy-to-strap buckle design which makes fastening the helmet securely over your head easier and ensures that it does not slip back.
It is a high-quality product using artificial leather as the helmet cover, which is both wear-resistant and anti-scratch.
Moreover, the buffer layer is made of high-density foam to provide a layer of cushioning to your skull, reducing shock from an impact.
Once again, no color variants as this one, too, is only available in black.
- Size: 22 inches
- Material: ABS, high-density foam
- Weight: 1.32 lb
- Convenient and easy to use buckle
- High-density foam to reduce shock
- Extended sun visor to protect your eyes from harsh light
- Detachable headliner
- Ventilation slots
- Water and scratch-resistant
- No color or design options
- Not the lightest helmet
- More expensive option
5. Troxels Equestrian Horse Riding Helmet
Troxels is an industry leader when it comes to manufacturing secure jockey helmets for its audience. The Troxels Equestrian Horse Riding Helmet substantiates its brand’s take on security as it comes with the SureFit Pro-Fit system. It has self-adjusting elastic straps and an adept FlipFold system so a proper fit is guaranteed.
There’s more to this helmet than just its five-star rating—it is SEI/ASTM certified. Your comfort will not be compromised either thanks to its durable harness. Thanks to its seven mesh-laden vents, the helmet doesn’t feel congested and air circulation is optimal.
The high-quality plastic can handle big impacts and comes in multiple color and design options, including: Badlands; Grizzly Brown; Traildust; and Turquoise Paisley.
It is, however, one of the heaviest jockey helmets on the list. So, if you’re someone who likes to keep a light head, this might not be for you. It’s also worth noting that added weight does contribute to the possibility of a helmet falling off.
- Sizes: Extra small | Small | Medium | Large | Extra-large | 13 x 9 x 8 inches
- Weight: 1.8 pound
- Closure Type: Buckle
- Material: Plastic
- Comfortable to wear
- Four color variants to choose from
- Durable harness
- Extended sun visor
- Matte Duratec finish
- Affordable helmet
- Countless positive reviews
- Some users complain of padding
- Quite heavy
These were the five best jockey helmets we’ve hand-picked from our research. Each is a solid choice. As a summary recap, remember:
- If you want to have a lot of options in terms of colors and designs, then you should go for the first helmet by Troxel.
- If the color doesn’t bother you much but quality, comfort, and protection against head trauma do, the second, third, fifth products are suitable for you.
- If you want a package deal that protects you from head trauma—safe, comfortable, and a fit helmet perfect for horseback riding, then the fourth helmet is the best match for you.
- Affordable options include the first, second, third, and fifth helmets in the list.
We hope the above buying guide has made it easier for you to choose a jockey helmet that best fits your needs. For more such reviews, visit our website Gallopandgo.com.